“Plans are worthless, but planning is everything.”General Dwight D Eisenhower, Supreme Allied Commander WWII
This page will be sort of a “living” plan. By that I mean, it won’t be cast in blood until we begin the trek back to Thailand and Laos. Even then it will change as we explore “The Trail.” To stay current with the latest updates, be sure to “Subscribe” on the home page.
Here is the most current “plan.”
- Get to Bangkok – Get there however you choose. For me, it will take nearly 30 hours to get there. I recommend you stay a in Bangkok a day or two to recuperate… you know… have a Singha or two; get a massage to work out the stiffness, etc.
- Fly to Vientiane, Laos (VTE) – For now, I’m thinking there will be two loops to ride. One to the Northern (Barrel Roll) parts of Laos and one to the Southern (HCMT)areas with a stop in Vientiane after the first loop. Once dates are set, it may be possible to do one or the other of the loops.
- Barrel Roll Loop – VTE to Plane of Jars & Airport with old MIGs => Plane of Jars to LS85 => LS 85 to LS 36 (The Alamo) => LS 36 to LS 20A (Alternate, Long Tieng) => LS 20A back to VTE (This loop will take six or seven days)
- HCMT Loop – VTE to Kanglor River Cave=> Kanglor River Cave to Mu Gia Pass => Mu Gia Pass to Guillet-Harley Valley => Guillet-Harley Valey to Tchepon => Tchepon to to Thakhek => Thakhek to NKP This loop could take 10 – 14 days
- NKP – Probably a day in NKP… Cow Pot, more Singha, and a massage.
- NKP to BKK – More Singha and another massage.
- Freedom Bird home
Yes… this is almost 4 weeks at this point, so it will likely get shortened drastically. I’m thinking 3 weeks or less. Click on the map below to see the loops. (It’s a large file so be patient.)